Know what you need? Contact us now:

0115 914 8408

Latest News

Community Project at Church Croft in West Bridgford

By Amanda McCaw on Tuesday 22nd August, 2017
Streetwise Environmental currently work closely with Metropolitan Housing Trust to deliver their Grounds Maintenance, Cleansing Services and additional works such as tree and arboricultural services. We also work with Metropolitan on social added value projects, with the aim of giving back to the community, and encouraging participation by the elderly or compromised. One recent scheme we have completed is a community project at Church Croft, a retirement housing development managed by Metropolitan in West Bridgford. Residents wanted a project that could involve everybody in an outside activity. Streetwise employees Billy and Zoe assessed the site, and offered advice on what would be possible. It was agreed that an allotment area would be created where residents could grow their own plants and vegetables. Streetwise prepared the land, provided seeds and plants, and worked with residents, offering advice and help with the planting. The allotment has been a huge success. It's a place that residents can interact socially, enjoy activity and fresh air, and appreciate the fruits of their labours. Harvesting a range of vegetables including potatoes, beans and tomatoes, and picking fresh flowers, has been incredibly satisfying for all concerned. Amy Frost, Project Support Officer at Church Croft said, 'It was really good working with Streetwise. We explained what the customers at Church Croft wanted and they came down to look at the site and give advice and highlight potential problems. Billy and Zoe were very supportive and helped kick start the project which would have been an overwhelming job without them.' John Scott-Lee, Managing Director of Streetwise Environmental said, 'It's wonderful to be able to make contributions like this to our local community and see such positive outcomes, with residents enjoying a peaceful green space away from their everyday lives.' Here's to future harvests! The Streetwise Team

Lark in the Park - Wednesday 2nd August

By Amanda McCaw on Thursday 27th July, 2017
Lark in the Park is one of Rushcliffe Borough Council's biggest family play day events. It's their 29th annual celebration of National Play Day, this year with a Go Wild theme. It's a free day of family fun, held in Bridgford Park, West Bridgford. Come along and discover fun ways to explore, play, and get creative in the great outdoors. Get muddy, and get up close to nature. There's a whole host of child friendly attractions such as arts and craft workshops, have-a-go sports activities, walkabout entertainers, classes and stage shows. Admission is free, but there's a charge for fairground rides and inflatables. At Streetwise Environmental, we think we've come up with a cunning plan to attract a whole new generation of horticulturalists! Come and visit our stand to find out all about growing plants. Talk to our experts, and help them plant up seedlings which will be used around the Borough. You will get to take away a fantastic goody bag that includes your own potted seedling, instructions on how to look after it at home, and how to plant it in your own garden. You will also get a free calendar that reminds you what you should be doing in your garden every month. The fun starts at 10am on Wednesday 2nd August, and goes on until 4pm. Parking is available on Bridge Field, Bridgford Road, and costs £3 for the day. Regular bus services operate from the city centre and across Rushcliffe to West Bridgford. For more information about public transport visit www.traveline.info We look forward to seeing you there - bring your wellies and don't wear your best clothes - you might get messy! Don't forget to come and see us at the Streetwise Environmental stand. The Streetwise Team

Fly-tipping - a growing problem

By Amanda McCaw on Monday 19th June, 2017
Fly-tipping is defined as 'the illegal deposit of any waste onto land that does not have a licence to accept it'. The problem ranges from a bag of household rubbish being dumped in a layby, to truckloads of waste being disposed of on either private or council owned land. It?s become a massive problem. At worst, it can be hazardous ? to individuals, wildlife and the environment. At best, it?s unattractive and expensive to deal with. Fly-tipping is a criminal offence, and the courts have powers that range from on-the-spot fines of up to £400, to imprisonment. But 'professional' fly-tippers who take payment for collecting refuse, then dump it illegally, are hard to identify, arrest and prosecute. Every year at Streetwise we get over 800 calls from members of the public reporting fly-tipping, and we clear over 300 tons of waste. But the problem keeps on growing and costs the economy millions of pounds a year. So, as a member of the public, what can you do to help?
  • Always ensure that anyone who is removing waste for you is a registered waste carrier. You can ask to see their certificate, or check with the Environment Agency
  • Make responsible arrangements for the removal/disposal of your own waste:
    • Use official roadside collections
    • Use your local recycling centres
    • Contact your local authority to find out if they have a bulky waste collection service for larger items such as furniture and kitchen appliances
    • Contact Streetwise Environmental - we provide a waste collection service
  • If you witness fly-tipping, make a note of the time and place, and a vehicle registration number if possible, and report it to your local authority, the Environment Agency or Streetwise Environmental. DON'T put yourself in danger by challenging the fly-tippers, or investigating the waste which might be dangerous in content.
  • Business owners should have a contract with a registered waste carrier, or they can dispose of business waste at a site that is licensed to take commercial waste. There will be a fee.
What should you do if somebody fly-tips on your own land? Unfortunately, the local authority is not obliged to dispose of waste dumped on private land. If you become the victim of fly-tipping:
  • Report the incident to your local authority or the Environment Agency. They should be able to give you advice on how to remove the waste.
  • Check that anyone you contract to remove the waste has a licence.
  • Look at ways of making it more difficult for fly-tippers to access your land.
Useful contacts:
  • Enter your postcode at: www.gov.uk/report-flytipping to be directed to the appropriate department of your local authority
  • Environment Agency: 03708 506506
  • Streetwise Environmental: 0115 914 8408
John Scott-Lee, Managing Director